Thursday, August 21, 2008

Survey...



So, Bella has this Bunny Rag that she has for nigh nigh time. Well, every day it seems she LOVES bunny rag more and more to the point that she throws a fit when I keep bunny rag in bed. Today she managed to sneak bunny rag out of the crib and carry it with her downstairs. When I put her in her high chair, I removed bunny rag, b/c, well, it's eating time. You would have thought I had just done the cruelest meanest thing ever the way she was screaming and crying. But as I sat there thinking about whether I should give her bunny rag back, I felt like I was at one of those motherhood crossroads. Do I let her have what she wants or is she going through a developmental phase and taking away the security of bunny rag will do more harm than good? Obviously not wanting to traumatize my child, I let her eat with bunny rag by her side. Sooooo, my question to all of you, even if you don't have children, is this.....security blankets, healthy or harmful?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So both my kids have "bunnies" that are WELL loved! Liam actually has three security items that he sleeps with... and Ainsley just her bunny. I think they are awesome! They help them sleep wherever you take them (cars, trips, other's houses...) and have been a lifesaver for us so many times. That being said... at around 12 months I start this game where we "throw bunny in the crib" and say bye-bye whenever they get up. Soon enough they understand "the rule" and they still have their security item yet it stays in one place and they are "secure" with that. Anyway - that's what has worked for us! OH - and I had a security blanket until the night before I was married and I turned out OK... right?!?! :) No comment! :)

jen

Jill Bartosh said...

Ya know, I think the binky would be considered a security blanket too?? Those were the big tigers to get rid of for my kiddos...But all of them wanted to sleep with one or two main blankets or -- all of my kids have thier favorite blankets that they STILL sleep with -- they just always had to stay in their rooms (after watching cartoons of course)...